Monday, December 10, 2007

The Word For the Day Is Treacherous


I nearly died twice today as i walked home from work. Yes, walked. Alicia and i have taken to walking home together after work instead of riding the T. I've been trying to be tough and accompany her out in the cold rather than hide in the middle of the sweaty masses that pack themselves onto the trains after work. She usually asks me if I'm feeling well when i agree to the walk home. Its only about a mile or two, not a very long walk at all. But my God it is cold. So no matter the weather when i get up to go to the office i still make sure to wear many many layers underneath cos i know that walk in the dark is going to kick my culito.

Today, we had a fairly uneventful walk except for ALL OF THE TREACHEROUS ICE that made me very very nervous. By the time i was approaching my street i was mostly just gliding my boots along the top of the ice and propelling myself from street sign, to mailbox, to fence. Unfortunately, the fence was also coated in ice and i slipped down it and managed to catch myself on another sign. That was a close one.

For more weather related fun:

I was trapped in a horrific nightmare early this morning. In it i was being chased by a shadowy figure brandishing a couple of knives. He never caught me and every time i stopped to rest he would also stop, to sharpen his knives. The scrape scrape scrape of blades against each other finally freaked me out enough that i escaped my dream to stare wide eyed up at my slopey ceiling. But...i kept HEARING THE SCRAPE SCRAPE SCRAPE of those knives! I rolled out of bed and looked out my window to find several neighbors scraping the ice off of their cars. Gah. Stupid ice scrapers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lyannie, you really kill me! You have such a wild imagination and your descriptions are so clear that I could actually see you gliding on the ice and I could even hear the scraping. Awesome posting!!!

Loving you always, momma
PS I can't wait to have you home again!