Thursday, June 28, 2007

Tra la la

My camera already ran out of batteries so no pictures today. I fail at turning off my camera before the batteries drain. Today was also pretty long. I slept in fairly late due to my supervisor not being in the office till the afternoon. This gave me plenty of time to try and find anything in my suitcase unwrinkled as well as give me an opportunity to wander into town alone.

I really need to buy an iron.

I left the house before noon and walked a few minutes before i realized i had turned the wrong way and was heading in the opposite direction of the main street. I performed an about face and wandered back to where i was ssupposed to be. Once reaching the street i peered around suspiciously for the Bus 73 sign. Alas, it was nowhere to be found. After i walked up and down the street looking at every single blasted sign and realizing none of them was a bus stop, i called Alicia. She told me to look across the street. Lo and behold the bus WAS RIGHT THERE and pulled away as i rushed towards it.

Grrr.

I took the next bus and promptly forgot which stop Alicia and i had gotten off the previous day. So i pretty much walked an extra mile and half, hauling butt, so i wouldnt be late. I wasn't. I met the two othr guys working on the project and was shown to the transcription lab where i'd be working.

Its pretty neat. I watched videos in spanish of different families and had to record what was being said, word for word, and type what i observed. I also go to double check other videos that had already been transcribed. It was most amusing to fill in the blanks they left because they did not understand what was going on.

I did that for a few hours but i bounced out early when Alicia came to check up on me. My legs hurt so freaking bad! Had my right knee threaten to collapse on me twice. This is what i get for leading an increasingly sedentary life. I'm sure i'll be fine in a few days but in the short time ive been here ive walked at least 20 miles (which is a lot for someone used to DRIVING everywhere) and my pants already fit looser. I've also acquired a sore throat, slight cough, and sniffles. Its annoying. But i get a cold/cough everytime i go someplace new . Stupid rebellious body.

We went to the supermarket and i bought SO MUCH junk food. hahaha. I apologized to Alicia, who is dieting and is a tea loving granola eating hippie, for bringing trash into her home. I then promptly offered her some Black Pepper Jack chips which she ate with our dinner.

Mmmm meat. She made us some glorious burgers with habanero cheese and jalapenos on top. I'm so relieved she's not a vegetarian. I admit that was a brief concern i had when we sat down to our first meal together. Happily enough she ordered meat. Yay.

And now. I am going to eat a Twinkie.

mmmm creme filled sponge cake....

5 comments:

Julia said...

Aaah the joys of public transport.

They're TOOLS OF THE DARK ONE! Seriously, I think they have little sensors and mirrors to tell when someone's running to catch them just so they can pull out at the last possible minute.

I say bring back the horse and cart! :D

Kristina Jasmin said...

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm...MEAT!

Anonymous said...

no no Kristina....MMMMMMMMMmmmmmm twinkies!! I haven't had one of those in years!

Kristina Jasmin said...

its about our ohana dinner, lol

Anonymous said...

Your stories are so vivid! As I read them I can actually see what's going on and I even tasted the chips and the twinkies!!!! Yum!!!

Love ya,

momma