Sunday, April 6, 2008

I Get It From My Momma

The tales of a certain Lt. Rodriguez in my household are legend. Lt. Rodriguez was caught outside nekkid during a fire drill. Lt. Rodriguez fell asleep under a tree during guard duty. Lt. Rodriguez went the wrong way and wandered into a known infested tick field. Its that last story that makes me feel that i am my mother's daughter. I am forever getting lost. It doesn't matter where i go and how good my directions are: I'm going to get lost. Count on it.

Which brings me to this morning. I got up early enough and mentally psyched myself up for the race. Printed up directions and stomped out the door. The train station that i got out at was about 2 miles away from the event location. No big deal, that's an easy hike. So i started walking. And couldn't find any of the streets on the map i had printed. So i walked to an intersection, didn't recognize it, and walked back. And finally i phoned a friend who managed to look up the correct route and told me to go back to where i had turned around. Gah. So already i walked an extra mile. I made it to the starting line with only 5 minutes to spare. What should have been an easy warm up to a 5 mile run ended up being a 3 mile power walk/jog in the cold. And then we have the run itself. Which killed me. There were hills. HILLS! And a wind that swept over the water and tried to knock me silly. And then it started to rain.

I finished my run in about an hour and 15 minutes. Then limped the 2 miles back to the train station.

Naturally as soon as i got home i took a shower and crawled into bed. And i haven't moved since.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are most definitely your mother's daughter! You are just like her...brilliant, beautivul, adventurous, a little exaggerated with your stories, but, most of all--you are never lost--just slightly disoriented! lol Yep, there is no doubt in my mind that you will become just as legendary as LT. Rodriguez. LOL

love ya, momma